Friday, February 26, 2010

My first Pizza

Yesterday was an unexpected snow day, the kids were home and I did not get to go to the supermarket. My mom always thought me to have some key items stocked in the pantry: flour, rice and oil. You could make a bunch of concoctions with these base ingredients. I decided to try my hand at pizza. Guess what it was really good!! I had mozzarella cheese left over from this weeks chicken Parmesan (my attempts anyway) and I had breakfast sausages in the fridge. It was fantastic, my daughters loved it , and I was very proud, I am thinking to perfect it and make all sorts of gourmet pizzas. It really was not that difficult. This is the dough recipe I followed:

Pizza Dough

Packet of Dry yeast
Cup of Warm Water
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using self-rising flour)
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2 1/2 quart bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, beat vigorously 20 strokes ( I did not beat very vigorously, just mixed it a couple of times). Let rest 5 minutes.

I rolled it out a little with a floured pin, the cookbook did not specify but I found it necessary. I sprayed some oil spray on my pizza pan and used some of the dough on that pan . I put the rest of the dough in a foil pan.

I tried baking two ways. With the first pizza I actually put the dough in the oven for a little while before adding ingredients. Gave a nice crisp to the crust. For the second I just added the toppings and place in the oven. That crust was a little softer. Both delicious. They did not take more than 15 minutes to bake.

I had 8 ounces of tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic, 2 teaspoons oregano, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt. I did not cook or heat, I just mixed all the ingredients in a Pyrex measuring cup.

For the sausage , I chopped a small onion. I placed the sausage links in microwave for a minute. I chopped the sausage small and placed it in a frying pan with the onions. I cooked for a minute or two, until onion was translucent and sausage had some color.

this is not my pizza,i just wanted to add a picture. I forgot to take a picture and it did not last long

No comments:

Post a Comment