Sunday, April 11, 2010

Back to High School



I wasn't the most popular person in High School, I had a few really good friends and still connect with them today. High School wasn't horrible, I just know that I probably would not go to High School Reunion because no one would remember me. There were times in high school when certain people dismissed what I was saying or straight up laughed at me. They never took me seriously or deemed anything I said as important. I consider myself a fairly well spoken individual, so when I seemingly experience that same thing with adults today I get upset. Your standing in a room with a group of adults trying to provide them with information or requesting information and they stare at you as if you are speaking a foreign language.

I remember taking a class in college that talked about the biases that are place on a speaker by the listener, sometimes even before they begin to speak. The speaker is basically tuned out before the listener ever tuned in. Maybe its something they are wearing or how they did their hair. Maybe is who they are associated with or not associated with. How many of us listen this way? Possibly missing out on something truly important because of a pre-imposed bias.

Do we read blogs that way? Maybe the writer does not have a lot of followers or advertisers. No cute graphics or catchy introductions, do we miss out on connecting with someone that may have something really impactful to share because of this?

These are just my random thoughts provoked by recent encounter by a biased listening audience.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please share!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment